The City of Gaspé has experienced rapid growth in its economy in recent years. The demand for workers increases from year to year and the housing vacancy rate is 1,2% for the whole city and almost 0% in Gaspé, downtown. The City of Gaspé therefore obtained permission in December 2019 to grant financial incentives for the construction of rental housing or for the acquisition of properties in certain districts of Gaspé.
The City of Gaspé has adopted a by-law allowing it to grant tax credits for the construction of rental housing:
- (100%) of the amount of general property taxes due and calculated only on the value of the main building entered on the assessment roll,
- Tax holiday on aqueduct, sewer and sewage treatment services and for the removal of waste, if applicable, the collection of septic tank sludge, if applicable, maintenance of the technical landfill and integrated waste management, for the main building constructed.
This program aims to help the acquisition of properties in district 1 (L'Anse-à-Valleau in Petit-Cap) and in part of district 3 (L'Anse-au-Griffon in Cap-aux-Os), in order to revitalize these districts with the arrival of new families who will decide to acquire their main residence there.
- The assistance granted to the owner-occupant declared eligible for the program, is applicable over a period of five (5) years, and is calculated on the parts of the building used exclusively for residential purposes;
- a tax credit equal to one hundred percent (100%) of the amount of general property taxes, in addition to a tax holiday on waterworks, sewer and wastewater services and for the removal waste, the collection of septic tank sludge, if applicable, the maintenance of the technical landfill and integrated waste management;
- Refund of transfer tax for single-family dwellings acquired. This assistance is subject to a maximum of ten thousand dollars ($ 10) for the period of five (000) years and per owner owner declared eligible.
For more information, please contact administrative services at 418-368-2104 ext. 8545
The tax credit assistance program to promote the construction of intergenerational housing aims to allow families to adapt existing homes to accommodate immediate family members in the same dwelling.
The program has also improved and widened eligibility so that the occupant is a grandfather and / or grandmother, son or daughter, grandson or granddaughter of the owner (s) place of only father and / or mother, stepfather and / or stepmother.
All details are also available by contacting the Department of Planning, Environment and Town Planning.
A new financial assistance program has been adopted by the Table des préfets de la Gaspésie.
Financial assistance of $10 per rental unit will be available for a maximum of $000 per project.
Remember that the objective of this regional program is to provide financial assistance for the construction of housing in Gaspésie, with an amount of 10 $000 per unit built for a maximum of $200 per project. The eligible works of the projects are:
- Construction intended for annual residential purposes comprising a minimum of 2 self-contained rental dwellings not occupied by the owner;
- The transformation of a building intended for annual residential purposes involving the addition of at least 2 self-contained rental dwellings not occupied by the owner.
The call for projects is continuous input, from 1er April 2022 and is managed by the Direction régionale de la Gaspésie—Îles-de-la-Madeleine of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MAMH).
Promoters wishing to obtain more information on this call for projects and submit a request for financial assistance are invited to contact directly the person responsible for managing this program at the MAMH office in Chandler:
Regional Operations Advisor
Regional Administrative Conference Coordinator
Telephone: 418 689-5024, extension 81104
You can also refer people and real estate investors to the MAHM website: https://www.mamh.gouv.qc.ca/developpement-territorial/fonds-et-programmes/fonds-regions-et-ruralite-frr/volet-1-soutien-au-rayonnement-des-regions/gestion-regionale/
On this site, we find the details of the $5 housing program in the document (page 000) of the Management framework for component 1 – Support for the outreach of the regions of the Regions and Rurality Fund for the Gaspésie region 2022-2023 (gouv.qc.ca) and the Electronic form.
Quebec Affordable Housing Program
- a private sector company
- a cooperative
- a non-profit organization
- a housing office
- a non-profit buying company
For all the details: