DRAFT OF BY LAW
DÉCRÉTANT L’ADOPTION D’UN CODE D’ÉTHIQUE
ET DE DÉONTOLOGIE DES ÉLUS DE LA VILLE DE GASPÉ
PUBLIC NOTICE is hereby given by the Gaspé town clerk, in accordance with article 12 of the Municipal Ethics and good conduct act:
THAT a draft of by-law order the adoption of a code of ethics and good conduct for elected municipal officer of the Town of Gaspé has been presented during an ordinary meeting held on November 20, 2017, in same time that the motion notice has been given like required by the law.
THAT the draft of by-law can be resumed as followed:
The code of ethics and good conduct for municipal officers of the town of Gaspé follow:
- To grant the priority of values who justify the decisions of a council member and to contribute the best comprehension of the values of the municipality;
- To institute standard behaviour who favours the integration of those values in the decision’s process of the municipal council and of general way, in the way to this title;
- Prevent ethic conflicts and if one arrives, helps to resolve them efficiently and with discernment;
- Assure the application of the controls measures to the deontology’s breach.
The values put ahead by the municipality, like wording at the article 4 of the draft of by-law are:
- Caution in the pursuit of the public interest
- Respect between the members, municipal employees and citizens
- Loyalty to the municipality
- Search for the equity
- Honour attached to the council member’s functions
The article 5 of the said draft of by-law establish management rules who have for objective to prevent:
- All situations where the personnel interest of a council member can be influenced by his judgement’s independence in the exercise of his functions;
- All situations who goes against the articles 304 and 361 of the Law on elections and the referendums in the municipalities (L.R.Q., chapitre E-2.2);
- The favouritism, the embezzlement, breach of trust or others loose living.
The draft of by-law also expect the sanctions that can carry a breach to a rule expected of the ethics and deontology code, like mention in article 31 of the Municipal Ethics and good conduct act.
THAT the town council will adopt the by-law at it’s ordinary meeting, who will be held on December 18, 2017, at 8h pm, at the town hall.
THAT the draft By-Law is available for consultation at the Office of the Town clerk of the municipality.
GIVEN at Gaspé, on December 6, 2017.